How to Find a Speech-Language Pathologist

How to Find a Speech-Language Pathologist

There are a few ways to find a Speech-Language Pathologist in your area. Depending on your needs, here are a few tips:

How do I Find a Speech Pathologist for a 2 year old?

Your local early intervention program serves children birth to three years old. Each state has a special education department that is in charge of early intervention. Here is the contact information for all the special education departments in the United States. Just call the number for your state and they will give you the name and number for the Early Intervention Program near you.

Early Intervention Programs in the United States

How do I find a Speech-Language Pathologist for a 3-5 year old?

After a child turns three their local school district is responsible for all special education services, including speech therapy until the child graduates from high school. All you have to do is call the special education department in your local school district to schedule an evaluation.

How do I find a Private Speech Pathologist?

To find a private therapist in your area go to the American Speech Language Hearing Association‘s web site and click on “Find a Professional”.

You can also visit Speech Buddies Connect. This is also a great resource. The number of therapists on this site is growing each day.


  1. What should we look for in a good speech therapist? My son had fluid in his ears for years and now (3.5 yrs old) we are working on his speech but I’m not sure about the therapist our ENT recommended. What should we be looking for?

  2. Hi Sarah,

    If I were looking for a Speech Pathologist for my son I would want one that is organized and keeps me updated on progress. Someone who is able to establish good rapport with me and my son and someone who is creative enough to keep trying new things to teach difficult concepts.

    If you are not satisfied with the speech pathologist you are working with call around and see if you can meet with a few other speech pathologists in your area. Tell them about your son and ask them to verbally walk you through what therapy might look like with them. If you find someone that you think will be a better fit for your son don’t feel badly about switching. As speech pathologists we all do things a little differently and ultimately what’s most important is what works for you and your son.

    Good luck!

  3. Heidi,
    I have searched for a speech therapist in my city but sadly I have found none. May I email you? I have a few questions about becoming a speech therapist like yourself. Id really appreciate it.

  4. Hi Rebecca,
    Sorry for the delayed response. I will forward Heidi your email so she can get in touch with you over any questions you might have. In the meantime, the best place to get information on becoming an SLP is from the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA, They have links to help you find universities that have approved bachelor and masters programs for Speech Pathology. Of course, I may be biased, but it has been a very rewarding career path and one that has provided many opportunities. Good luck!